Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Day Twenty (Word Count: 30,273)

Whoo-hoo! Broke the 30,000 barrier. It's a nice round number, and it's also the minimum that Baty sets for heading into the fourth week. 35,000 would be better--and hopefully I'll get close to that by Wednesday, the start of Week 4.

More snow shoveling and more doctor's visits. My brain is starting to melt. These have been two of the roughest weeks of my married life, I must say. The good aspect of that, from the writing perspective, is that if I can get it done under these circumstances, it bodes well for my getting work done in less stressful times.

To answer Kham's question from a couple of posts ago: don't expect to be reading the manuscript that comes out of this any time soon. This thing is a right royal mess and is going to require some extensive editing to even become coherent--a random collection of scenes does not a novel make. Once it's in some sort of semi-sane shape (and I ditch the clumsier alliteration, as seen here), I plan to follow the advice of Stephen King and a number of other writers: I'll send out the manuscript to a small, select group of readers whose tastes I know and whose judgement (and ability to give that judgment honestly, even if it hurts my easily wounded feelings) I trust and get some feedback from them.

If you're in that group, you are in luck (or out of it, depending on your perspective and willingness to spend large amounts of time critiquing my work and basically pandering to my ever writerly whim); otherwise, you'll just have to wait for the hardbound edition to come out at all the better booksellers.

No comments: