I was talking with Joanna the other day and mentioned that I must be taking the stages outlined in the No Plot? No Problem! book either more slowly than average, or in reverse order. Week Two, which was meant to be the difficult and dreaded one, proved to be relatively easy; Week Three, during which the clouds are meant to part and the glorious light of fantastic writing should begin to shine down, is the tough slog for me. I'm feeling at loose ends with the story right now, not in the least helped by the fact that I'm not writing in a linear fashion. Random scenes kept the writing easy, I suppose, because I could always duck out of one that wasn't going well and start up a new one, but that's starting to feel lifeless; worse, I'm having a harder time coming up with new scenes, because they don't seem to be building to any conclusion.
Garn.
I'm 68% of the way through this thing, but that seems less important to me than finding the real story in all this. Now's about the time I'd start really hitting the bottle if I was a two-fisted Hemingway-style writer. Curse the luck that I'm generally free of mind-altering addictions; seems like one of those could really help right about now.
Ah, well.
4 comments:
Perhaps there could be a story about a ninja who just wants to be a "real boy" but instead finds himself caught up in an international plot to clone Zsa Zsa Gabor...
Either way - 4000 words in one push - keep up that kind of pace and Kathie's pine needles will stay where they are.
And then the ninja, smuggling the stem cells of Zsa Zsa - which are hidden inside a bullet casing in a vintage 1865 LaFaucheaux 20-Shot Pinfire Revolver made of 24-karat gold - out of the secret labs in Zurich, accidentally stumbles onto the set of "America's Top Model," where in order to escape detection from his enemies, he must participate in a pie-eating contest while dressed as Ronald McDonald. And there should be a time traveling monkey with a magic hat.
It's very exciting to see that you've come this far. One week left, man!
Yeha Yeah! Time travelling monkey - that's brilliant!
Mike, there really might be something here...
The funny part here, Silverback, is the inside joke: I've been talking about the importance of a time-traveing monkey with a magic hat for years now.
One day, my friends--one day...
Post a Comment