Monday, March 13, 2006

Day Twelve (Word Count: 21,307)

I wrote last night between 3 and 4am while Poncho slept on the couch. Surreal. Sometimes it really is the potential shame that keeps me motivated to produce work even when I don't want to. I spent the day shoveling and blowing snow up to my waist, and my body was not happy. I wouldn't give it up to live in the snowless lands, but it does eat up a person's time.

I've calculated I'll need to crank out 1,500 words a day for the rest of the month to finish on time; if I keep up the 1,700 words a day (which is my intention), I'd finish two days early. Actually, I'm really hoping to rack up some writing over spring break next week. Every time I think that, though, something comes up and it all goes to pieces. So maybe I'll declare that I won't get ahead on my word count; I plan on barely scraping by. Yeah. That'll fool the ineffable forces that stand in my way.

Stupid ineffable forces.

2 comments:

Devin Parker said...

Sounds good so far; you've really been sticking to it, which is great. Especially considering how rough things sound with the chilluns.

I just wanted to let you know that, for once, we seem to have the same weather. After a week of near-Spring temperatures, a winter storm blew in overnight and now we've got the greatest amount of snowfall that's come our way all winter. It looks a bit like the mountains outside, with the trees almost smothered in snow, walkways dug deep on the sidewalk, etc.

Anyway, I sat down and did some writing for my Experimental Narratives class last night, and I managed to type up about 1640 or so words. Now I have some idea of what you need to do every day, and have a better appreciation of it, I think. Though you may have a bit of the upper hand in that you just need to bang it out without worrying too much about the quality right now (whereas mine is going to be scrutinized by the class this week)...still, it does take some effort, and I admire your taking it on.

So there's your encouragement for today. If you need further motivation, think about Kathie's lovely pine needles...

Chris said...

I think he's dead.

No I'm not!

Badum Bam! Whack. Ahhh!