Tuesday, October 11, 2005

How Do I Know I'll Be Shown the Proper Respect?

That title has nothing in particular to do with this post--it's one of our favorites from Ted L. Nancy in his series of books, Letters from a Nut, in which he writes bizarre and random letters to various corporate and government entities just to see how they'll respond. He has an absolute knack for writing missives that sound real and yet are utterly insane, like writing to restaurants to ask if it's okay to bring his own waiter, or warning hotel chains that he has a rare condition that causes him to eat his own bedding. From his proposed chain of Hungry Mosquito restaurants in New Mexico, to his concerns that San Antonio is going to change the name of its basketball team from the Spurs to the Paper Towels, to his thanks to various foriegn nations for their superb department store staffs that have variously helped him out of air conditioning ducts in which he invariably got caught while attempting to retrieve a lost shoe, the letters are amazing pieces of staged oddity. The title is from a letter to a hotel in which he asks, many times and in various ways, how he can know that he's being shown proper respect from the staff.

That was a lot of explanation for a title that doesn't have anything to do with the actual post. In truth, at this point that will end up being most of the post, as you'll note the timestamp at the bottom of the entry reads something in the neighborhood of 4:10am (if I can wrap this up with some alacrity). I have been asleep again, only to be awakened an hour ago by my long-suffering and ever-patient wife. I'm still hoping to catch an hour more sleep before I get up for work, but I knew my true duty lay here, with my gentle readers. As always, the blog has become a kind of touchstone, a duty to which I look forward and a tiny piece of the kind of life I hope to be living someday. I'd explain that but it's too early.

I had an entire other post planned. Actually, I'm in one of those fecund stages where I seem to have dozens of post ideas, but I had geared myself up to deliver a book review and get that idea out of my brain. That'll have to wait until later today--I'm determined to post earlier today come hell or high water. I've got to get some kind of real schedule working here in the near future or I'm going to stay stuck in the creative rut in which I've been meandering for the past decade.

It's off to sleepy-bobos for me. Keep your eye on this space.

ps--You know, one day I'm going to write a post about the constant cliches I use and how I ruthlessly beat those out of my students' writing and yet continually engage in them myself. Can I get a shout of "hypocrite" from the crowd?

Thank you.

Okay, you can stop now.

10 comments:

Chris said...

HYPOCRITE!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm determined to post earlier today come hell or high water.

You're determined to post before 3:53 AM? That shouldn't be too tough.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and...

HYPOCRITE!!!

Chris said...

Dan's already made his monthly post...

Michael Slusser said...

Hey, now. Be fair. That's two posts there...

Actually, Dan's been posting all over the place this week. Just give him a little time off and he goes nuts...

Anonymous said...

D'oh!

You're right, Chris. Considering the infrequency of my posting, I probably shouldn't tease. It's just that the comment seemed so funny considering the hour at which Mike posted it.

Great protraits, all of you. If I could figure out how to add pictures to a post, I might look for one to add to mine too.

Ah well.

Michael Slusser said...

Dan,

At the top of the window where you type your post, there's a little icon of a picture. Click it and it will ask you either to choose a picture from your computer or to type in the URL of an image on the internet. Fill that in and it puts the image in your post for you.

The only problem I've encountered is that it always inserts the HTML for the picture at the top of the post; I have to copy it and paste it in where I want it.

Otherwise, it's pretty easy.

Chris said...

And its okay to tease Dan. In fact, I love it when you mock Mike. Lots. :)

Michael Slusser said...

Chris,

One of those sentences needs a comma. It's either, "And it's okay to tease, Dan... I love it when you mock Mike," or "And it's okay to tease Dan... I love it when you mock, Mike."

I suspect I know which one you mean, but I can't be sure...

Nice portrait, by the way. Wish I could get them to come up on the full page.

And no, it's not because I didn't select that option. This template doesn't allow it.

Anonymous said...

Different people vary in their interpretation of respect. More often than not this is the very reason why people get into trouble. In my opinion, the respect you deserve to get is tantamount to the respect that you give.