Somehow trips to Costco always cry out to be the blogging subject of the day.
Here's the confusing thing: Costco is the largest store in the known universe, right? I mean, the aisles can comfortably accomodate earth-moving equipment. So how is it that people still manage to block the aisles? The absolutely amazing part is the manner in which such people blatantly pretend to ignore you as they're perusing 1,826 identical crates of sugar packets. It is, in fact, impossible not to see a Costco cart coming at you--the blind can sense such massive vehicles by the way they warp the earth's magnetic field upon approach. But the browsers will simply stand, hand on chin, clucking to themselves softly, peering about as if one of the crates might contain the lost Codices of Enkidu. The urge to ram them senseless is very strong sometimes.
The much more personal crisis occured in the parking lot, however. It isn't Costco specific, either--it's a plague that afflicts many a store parking lot across this nation and, I daresay, the civilized world. It is, of course, the curse of unstowed shopping carts. I found myself parked at the far end of the aisle and several rows over from the nearest cart return, so it was a journey to get my empty cart to it's home. Along the way I passed a dozen untenanted carts strewn haphazardly among the spaces, rammed up into planters, hung from tree branches, and so on. Somehow I was overcome with a smug sense of pride over following the rules of the parking lot; I was then overcome by shame for the same reason, plus the added realization that I was such a petty little man.
I understand there are some moments when you must abandon a cart: you have small children strapped in the car; there is a fire at your house and you must return to rescue your elderly maiden aunt; you are a secret agent and have just observed your nemesis purchasing a twenty-gallon jug of nerve agent and a Kirkland (R) brand Happee-Timez Nerve-Agent Dispenser and you must stop him before he initiates his plan to take over the world. But that still leaves most of us without excuse. I don't know why this particular thing sticks in my craw; like all such pet peeves, it's petty and minor; far easier, I suppose, to get worked up over the guy in the drive-through behind you who has the bass cranked up way too far (and is thereby making your vehicle jump some three feet off the pavement with each beat) or people shouting threateningly at you to take part in Red Ribbon Week or else you are a soulless monster (if you're on a college campus, anyway) than about the vast devestation caused by natural disasters (in the face of which you feel helpless) or the woes of the unending poor.
So help the small-minded among us stay distracted from large, scary issues. Drop your fast-food trash on the median strip of the highway. Natter on endlessly about how your cats are like your children. And by all means, leave a mountain of tangled shopping carts in the aisles of your local stores. You're saving us from despair.
7 comments:
You are fascinating--you want to make sure people put their shopping carts back, but you thought I was on crack when I scooped up the empty popcorn bag and soda containers after the movie the other day to deposit in the trash can outside the theater. "They'll get it," was the general idea at the moment I think. And I can appreciate the difference--the parking lot has a continuous stream of traffic that has to manage its way around the carts, but the theater gets cleaned up before the next audience arrives, so no patrons are really inconvenienced. Still, some people like me take smug delight in being the only person who carries the trash out like the little movie preview tells me to :)
Most of all though, I am immensely grateful that you would abandon your cart to save me from a burning building. I am, of course, I have proudly decided, the elderly maiden aunt of which you speak!
A-hem!
Mr. Slusser, it is Thursday, and yet this post is from Tuesday. This is, what, like the third time you've missed a day in the last week or two? Don't make me come over there.
By the way, here's a snippet-quote from Phillip Pullman in regards to Lewis, or, more specifically, the Narnia books:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1593201,00.html
Kathie,
I did not think you were on crack for carrying out your trash from the movies--I approve heartily, and take the same smug satisfaction in always cleaning up my own mess.
I thought you were on crack for picking up other people's trash--I had gotten all ours; you were taking care of the trash of strangers. In the same way I don't grab other empty carts when returning mine (which is what I'd do if I really had a conscience), I don't put my hands on the filthy, stained remains of other folks' food.
Devin,
I have failed you, my master. Kill me quickly.
After our little talk about Pullman, I looked him up online and read that piece as well as some others. Apparently the anti-Christian rhetoric doesn't really start until the second book in the series, which is why I didn't notice any in the first. Sad, really.
Slusser! Where's my new post?
Post a Comment