Monday, October 17, 2005

What Amuses Me

Since the last posting was chock full of extra bloggy goodness, I'm taking a break on this one and simply pointing you toward other people who might amuse and distract you from the tragedy of life. They make me laugh, anyway.

Poking about on the net, I discovered the odd daily installment that is Rocketboom, a "vlog" (that's video blog, for you squares out there) hosted by the delicious Amanda Congdon (who has a blog right here on Blogger, Amanda Unboomed). She has some acting credits (most recently in The Restaurant) and trained with the Upright Citizens Brigade. Rocketboom covers whatever strange and unusual stuff comes Amanda's way from the web and other media. It's uneven and not always a laugh riot, but it's got some very high high points. And Amanda's purty, too.

Today, for instance, Amanda brought my attention to the utterly delightful General Zod in 2008 presidential candidate site. Yes, your favorite villain from Superman II is making a bid for office in the next election. Frankly, his campaign platform has appeal. The political subtext swings far left, but the site is just funny.

Katie Vargas, adorable six-year-old girl: " Mr. Zod, will there be lots of toys when you are President?"

General Zod: "Child, let me explain something quite important to you. Under my new order, I allow you to live. In return for your obedience, you enjoy my generous protection. I expect tribute. Your tricycle, your dolls, everything you own. All these you will gladly give to me. All swear allegience to Zod!"

I enjoy imagining those lines delivered in Terrence Stamp's dulcet, cultured tones that were so impressive to me when I was seven and saw Superman II. Hee hee.

In her archives, Amanda also had a link to the "Terry Tate, Office Linebacker" commercials that made me laugh at their gratuitous violence on television, and continue to do so in a lengthy spot here.

The Slater Boy put me on to this little delight of a guide to programming this very morning. Normally I wouldn't put a book on a new computer programming language into a post about amusing sites, but this one might be worth reading even if you don't program at all (like me). The prose here puts my feeble japes to shame. Just read the opening and see if you don't laugh at why's (poignant) guide to Ruby.

And that's all I have brain power for. Gonna get me in bed before 1am, yessir. That's my plan.

"Kneel before Zod!"

No comments: