Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A Weekend of Things

Since I'm marginally more awake than last night, I thought I'd report on our dealings over the weekend.

Saturday was the more fun; Joanna and I dropped the monkeys off at her parents' place, then headed out to the Ontario Convention Center for the first ever Log Home Exhibition to be held there. Those who know me in any sense or have read any earlier entries will be aware of my obsession with someday owning and living in a log home. I could hardly say why this seems to important to me, except that it's tied up with all the things I want to be and the way I hope to live, bespeaking of a kind of rustic warmth and nostalgic longing that grips me during most of my waking hours. We certainly don't have plans to buy one immediately, but if we do someday make the move to the northwest and the Christian artists' community, it's something I'd dearly love. I have an actual subscription to Log Home Living magazine to serve as impetus for me to actually do some work (the theory being that if I want to move away and live in a log home, I'll have to get some things published and/or be harder working to support my family). It doesn't work, of course, but it is nice to sit and dream from time to time.

The show itself was smaller than I expected--it is the first one in this area, so that may have played a part. But it was fun to wander around and see some examples of the joining process for the logs, view some great furnishings (one man made tables and chairs out of reclaimed wood after a forest fire that the timber companies didn't want; it was beautiful), and get a vast many log home magazines. There were some timber frame advocates, but the log home supporters quickly drove them off.

It was nice all around, and on Sunday we actually returned to church! We haven't been for many weeks due to a set of difficulties with the child care folks. Not that there was anything bad there, but the boys did not function well in a classroom when Joanna and I were not about, and the leaders were opposed to us being in the classroom with them. This left us with no way to keep the boys there, as they cried and wailed so much that the "teachers" (a gaggle of teenage girls) couldn't watcn them, but we couldn't go stay with them, either.

So we didn't go, but now that the boys are four, we thought we'd give it another try. The four-year-old class is more structured and is taught by someone the boys know, and I think they've passed some sort of socializing barrier that allows them to be in mixed company without us. They were great for the whole class (besides using a lake of glue for a craft project--my boys, after all) and had a good time, so I think we can start going again. Huzzah!

I'm sleepy, so that's all for the moment. Goodnight, folks.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Hurray on the kids doing better in their class! There are some tricky ages in there when they just don't want to stay in their class without you, and I know it makes it seem too much of a hassle and fight to try to go to church. Hopefully they'll do better in this class and you can go again!

I myself haven't gone to church for the last two weeks in a row, which is out of character for me and is quite bothersome, but with the kids in preschool, it seems like they constantly have a cold. It's tricky!

The log cabin thing sounds pretty cool; glad you had a good time and got to do something without the kids. You can always dream, right?