Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Waiting

The good news first: as of last night at around 6pm, all the homes on our stretch of Live Oak were still standing, and it sounds as though the homes of most of those we know were as well. We even saw pictures, courtesy of a fine law enforcement official who is a friend of my sister-in-law.

Many kind people have stepped forward to offer help, use of their homes, and other aid, and you are all much appreciated. Sorry if I haven't gotten back to some of you directly—it's still been a crazy time. But it is good to know so many were praying for and thinking of us.

We're not quite through the flames yet. There is still 0% containment on the Slide Fire and some flare-ups continue to erupt. Plus, now we're seeing more and more calls for security checks on potential looters (What a sad, sad world.), including one right across the street from us. And once the fire is officially out, the word is that it will require a mighty large effort to clean up the roads and infrastructure enough to allow people to return. The lesson about "letting go of mundane things" has not (so far) been quite as permanent as I might have imagined, but it is ongoing. And, of course, there are those who will not recover for years to come, or potentially ever. I pray we can do something for them and that, as is the hope with disastrous circumstances of whatever stripe, we will be drawn a little closer to others through the adversity.

Getting a little philosophical here. Blame it on a lack of sleep, on being in a small house with 10 kids and 8 adults (no matter how kind and generous and patient they are), on a lack of internet access except for certain portions of the day (O, how I have become a worshipper at the altar of technology and instant gratification/communication!), and perhaps on my inability to think coherently these days.

Me mother's coming to join me for coffee, so I'm off. Prayers for coherence, sanity, and faithfulness are appreciated (possibly more for those who have to deal with me than for myself).

3 comments:

orneryswife said...

Thank you for the updates. I continue to pray for you and your family.
TM

Mike said...

Great news about the house Mike! When I saw the last update to the fire boundary, I thought for sure your house was inside the burned area.

If you need a break ever, give a call. Even if just to chat about silly LARP stuff, or how annoying students are. Whatever you need. (I'll e-mail my cell #)

Bob said...

Call Synnove or my cell phone when you can. We have some news and your cell just goes to Vm.

Bob -rtyo@llu.edu