Thursday, August 18, 2005

Other Strange Things to Annoy and Amuse You

I'm tired and disoriented and cranky. Not enough sleep these past few weeks, crazy room reassignments at school, and endlessly-recurring economic difficulties are making me sad. On top of that, reading other people's much better writing has sucked out my will. All this little blog seems to be is a feeble attempt to emulate some of James Lileks and Mike Nelson without much success.

And I rely far too much on comments. When no one makes any, I start thinking that no one likes me and my work is pitiful and lame and I'm a bad person, despite the fact that people may still be reading and just not have anything to add or any time to add it if he or she did. If this is not the case, please don't let me know.

This leads me to the realization that I'm a sad little man in constant need of praise and encouragement, even when expecting it is unrealistic and massively self-important. Probably why I can't write a novel--without feedback on a regular basis, I give up.

I don't know. I'm probably just tired.

In lieu of more of this self-pity, I present a few other strange little corners of the web I've found of late (while browsing when I should have been doing other, more productive things... oh, forget it).

I can hardly say why, but I laughed myself into convulsions over this:

THIS IS FUN TO MAKE A BLOG ON THE COMPUTER WEBSITE

It's best to start at the bottom and work your way up--otherwise, you won't know who Super Mop-Top or the Billionaire Gentleman-Horse are. It's the closest thing to a transcription of the howling of a random lunatic--possibly European--I've come across. Now that's funny. Be prepared for a lot of all caps.

If you've ever wondered about some of the strange stuff you run across on e-Bay or the like, you haven't seen anything yet. Check out Who Would Buy That?

Despite my envy, I do find James Lilek's stuff fantastic. I've got the permanent link over in the sidebar, but there's a lot of stuff to wade through. For sheer "laugh that you may not cry" entertainment, try the Dayalets. Who thought this was a good idea?

Devin was horrified to find that this was bookmarked on my old computer. I don't know--I just find it really amusing. For a thousand such random generators in almost every category imaginable, try Seventh Sanctum. There are even a few good ideas lurking in amongst all the madness...

Okay, I feel a bit better. I suppose I should do some work. I'll be all better tomorrow. I can feel the incline of my constant mood swings coming on.

ps--Some wags have pointed out in my earlier post that Gaos is actually a foe of Gamera, the giant flying turtle who is "friend to all children" rather than Godzilla. To you I say: Nerds! Giant nerds!

pps--THE DOGS ARE WORRIED! THEY CAN'T FIND THE BEANS!! THEY WERE LOOKING FOR THE BEANS IN THE DRAINS!!!

Hee hee...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what your problem is...scurvy. I've saw it during my last trip around the cape. The journey took weeks and, it being winter, the ship was traveling under a persistent cloud filled sky. After a few weeks without exposure to the sun the crew became more and more despondent. You must immediately consume 22 limes and spend at least one hour in the sunlight each day. You could possibly eat your lunch outside, not under a tree of course. You must do this for all those who care for you and depend on your mirth. We cannot afford to lose you in this very dark hour. Oh. Its 5:00, got to leave before traffic gets too bad. Cheers

Devin Parker said...

SUPER MOP-TOP HAS THE SCURVY! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE! SOMEONE CALL KING WINKLES ON HIS SUBMARINE-PHONE! I WILL YELL AT THE DEEP-SEA CREEPS! GET WITH IT, SUPER MOP-TOP!!!

Silverstah said...

Darn you! I just spent 20 precious minutes looking at the kooky Ebay auctions.

And I think I had that Dukes of Hazzard colorforms set. ;)