Tuesday, December 02, 2008

This Is Why I Study Literature

It's one thing to get your spiritual sit-upon kicked by an exhortational sermon; it's another to be humbled by a poem:

Batter my heart, three-personed God; for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurped town, to another due,
Labor to admit you, but O, to no end;
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betrothed unto your enemy.
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again;
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.
John Donne, "Holy Sonnet 14"

2 comments:

Kathie said...

Always love the lines, "Except you enthrall me" and "except you ravish me". Even my love for him is contingent upon his doing; he must initiate, he must pursue whole heart. What a one to be surrendered to! Wow!

Mike said...

I never did study literature (after barely paying it mind during high school). I cannot extract meaning from most poems, especially one this decorative in language. It might as well be a foreign language.