"Since they have humbled themselves, I will not destroy them but will soon give them deliverance. My wrath will not be poured out on Jerusalem through Shishak. They will, however, become subject to him, so that they may learn the difference between serving me and serving the kings of other lands."
How often, I wonder, have I been spared the consequences of my actions, but become "subject" to rulers other than God as a result? How often do I continue to serve under other masters, laboring in vain, because I have repented of the sin of the moment but not given my heart over to Him completely as a result?
The closeness I desire with God, the moment-by-moment experience of walking with Him, can only be found by... well, walking with Him moment by moment. Too often I walk my own way, only throwing my arms around Him when I'm about to plunge off a precipice or I get so mired in a swamp that I cannot pull myself out. Then He sets me aright, and I turn and wander off on my own paths once again.
I think I do this less often than in the past, but this seems like a journey a man might walk—to a greater or lesser extent, and always hopefully growing toward the lesser—all his life. Or maybe I'm pushing this metaphor too far...
No comments:
Post a Comment