So, the past couple of weeks have included
- The end of the semester for me, including trying to deal with a student who plagiarized a paper, was given a second chance (a circumstance that will not be repeated for any future students), and plagiarized a second time
- The boys ending school, freeing them up to be wild monkeys on a full-time basis
- A Cub Scout hike/campout dinner, at which the boys graduated to being Wolf Scouts (for those of you out of the Cub Scout loop for some years, there are now four gradations: Bobcat, Tiger, Wolf, and Bear. I am convinced that these were added in order to make parents pay for four sets of hats, belt buckles, neckerchiefs, and slides during their sons' Cub Scout career). Also, Born Dancin' once again showed her propensity to become instantly covered in grime (in this case, a combination of dirt, popcorn cheese, fried chicken grease, and s'mores)
- Speaking of, Born Dancin' turned three last week, and we had her birthday party today during which she showed her propensity to become instantly covered in grime (in this case, a combination of bubble gum and stolen lollypops, bubble blowing solution, sand, dirt, and Play-Dough)
- I attended the Audio Publishers Association conference (thanks to all the generous contributors who got me there), and it was pretty great. I spent the day trying to chat up audio publishers and fellow narrators, and there were some excellent panel discussions and demonstrations. It was much better than I thought it might be—now I just need to get my demo shaped up and sent out. Pippin is helping me with my website and has up my current demo if you want a listen. (I may add a track or two, if I can get my wee home recording set-up to emulate the fancy-pants recording studio within which the original tracks were recorded
- As Frodo reported, I have brought the evil that is World of Warcraft into my home, and had the audacity to drag several of those I care about with me. Now Gimli, Frodo, Joanna, and I have played many an hour. Thankfully, the charm is starting to wear off, so I can occasionally drag myself away.
- I'm beginning to work on the murder party my niece requested for her sixteenth birthday. It's a Civil War affair (actually, I'm setting it in the Reconstruction, just so's we don't have to have people kill one another instantly), and I've never done such a thing for teenagers before, so it's challenging but interesting
Now, given all that, if the summer held the promise of some cooling-down time and relaxation, some broad swaths of calm, that would be nice. But a partial list of the schedule for the coming months:
- We leave tomorrow for five days of camping in the Sequoias with a friend's family. It's a beautiful spot and a fun trip, but always exhausting. Born Dancin', no doubt, will display her propensity to become instantly covered in grime, several times a day
- When we return, we'll have four days, and then we pile everyone back in the ol' minivan to head up first to Pippin's house for a day or so, and then on to Kathie's place for almost two weeks. She thinks she's ready for this; we shall see. I know that will be a great time, and it'll be terrific to finally see this new palatial mansion she's moved in to. If that "bonus room" isn't the bee's knees, I shall be sorely put out
- We'll get back just a couple of days before summer school starts, so that will keep me pretty well booked for six weeks. It'll be hard to get back into the swing of things since I took last summer off
- Partway through July comes a Cub Scout camp, which will be intense but fun; then a trip to Mammoth with the folks, because how can you turn down Mammoth?
- August brings us to the end of summer school and Joanna heading back east to visit her family and friends for a week, leaving me with solo dad duty. It'll definitely be the longest either of us has been away all at once, and by far the longest we've been without mom (though she was away with Born Dancin' nearly that long a couple of years ago), so it'll be an educational experience for us all, no doubt
- Denver and Poncho turn seven in August as well, so there'll be birthday madness to plan all over again. Thanks to watching Mommy and Daddy play World of Warcraft, no doubt they'll want a Tauren and Draenei party (though, given their almost-seven-year-old natures, that's likely to change a dozen times in the next two months)
- And then, one week after summer school ends, the fall semester begins in mid-August. Egads.
So that's what's up at the Slusser household. If you don't hear from me often over the summer, you'll know why, but I'll certainly be trying to put forth a better effort once we return from the wilderness.
5 comments:
Return from the wilderness? Is that what they're calling insanity now adays?
Like to tell you my schedule is more relaxed then yours, but sadly no.
When the dust settles I would ask that you come over to my house and read to me... preferably Buttercup's Baby. It's not a kissing book is it?
Thanks for the update! I was wondering what you guys were up to lately.
I feel downright lazy compared to you all; you're quite ambitious! It does sound like a great summer though, even if it is exhausting. I'm still working on unpacking, catching up on sleep, shuttling kids back and forth to school, and tackling the mountain of dishes and laundry that occur when there are seven people in one home, but hopefully I will soon get thank yous sent out. What made me think of it was that I have a GREAT picture of Joanna and Born Dancin' from the wedding. It's so sweet! I also have some good ones of our boys chasing each other about.
Hang in there and try to drop us a note from time to time to let us know you're surviving :)
Wow! That sounds pretty intense! Any one of those events would be enough to make most men quail! :-) I am most impressed by the week without mom. Very, VERY impressed.
I have seen pix of Kathie's mansion, and it is quite impressive, indeed. Hope you have a wonderful time with her, and a super summer, without any glitches.
We are traveling a lot, too, so my daily blogging might hit a bump, since we gave the laptop to Ryan. He deploys July 6th, in case you have a moment to remember him in your prayers.
Thanks for the update. Will be praying for you to find much peace amidst the turmoil!
Seriously...it's just a room. It's got two windows. You still have to come downstairs to go potty.
Brace yourself.
What server are y'all playing on? I've got toons on Firetree, StormReaver, and Chromaggus.
Post a Comment