It's appropriate, I guess, for the site I was just on. Devin and Christina posted the results of a "politics quiz" from a site called OK Cupid, something of a singles/matchmaking site. I suppose the idea is to find other people with similar beliefs and ideologies, but it was odd to be taking such a quiz and be confronted with numerous ads for finding a partner (I kept being bombarded by offers to help me find sexual partners in Victorville. What's up with Victorville? Lots of long, lonely nights? I would not have pegged it as a center for the desperate horndog).
In any case, I figured I'd post my results, too.
| You are a Social Moderate (41% permissive) and an... Economic Liberal (10% permissive) You are best described as a: Link: The Politics Test on Ok Cupid |
Man. Just shy of totalitarian, which is where I figured it would put me. When you call up the pictures of famous people who fall in your category, I'm right between Mikhail Gorbachev and Darth Vader, which pleases me on some level. I don't make it all the way into that category because, deep in my heart of hearts, since I don't want to be forced to do things I don't like, I can't quite bring myself to force others to do things against their will. Curse this weakness! My empire of enlightenment will never see realization until I can divest myself of this objectivity!
As Devin mentioned in his blog, I don't trust the results of such tests, though I would have guessed I'd be more on the liberal end than many. Oddly, it pegged me as a "Strong Democrat," which most certainly isn't true. On some social issues I agree with Democrats in principle, i.e.: there should be social justice, the government does have a role in helping its most needy citizens, social programs are good things--but I disagree with most Democrats almost entirely in practice, because they way they want to go about these things and the motivations for their actions seem utterly alien to me.
Frankly, I am fully of the opinion that it would all work out much better if they just put me in charge of everything. Or I could form a kind of Council of the Wise, enlightened folk who would help make decisions for everyone else. We'd be benign, of course, only using our unlimited power for good, and helping people live the lives they didn't even know they should be living. Sort of like the Jedi Council in Revenge of the Sith.
You can see why I ended up where I did, can't you?
3 comments:
To look at you one would think: big, sweet, cuddly guy. Little do they know about that dark, chewy center of yours.
Beth: Ew. The less said about Michael's chewiness, the better.
Someone needs to find Elrond, Gandalf, and Galandriel to be our Council.
Of course, that would probably result in a lot of isolationist policies, with Elrond constantly complaining about wanting to leave the country, Galandriel going on vaguely about future events, and Gandalf riding around the Midwest on a motorcycle, showing up at the White House every now and then to berate the President or to smoke some "pipeweed" in the Rose Garden.
I found the test interesting when I found it on Gaughin's site (forgive me as I can never remember how to spell his name correctly), so I put it up on mine. Unfortunately, while taking the test, it's terribly obvious how slanted it is. I guess I was amused because while I do agree with liberals and democrats on some issues, just as you suggested about yourself, I would by no means label myself a democrat. I'm not saying a democrat is a bad thing at all, I just don't think my overall ideology lines up with that. What made me laugh harder was that I'm right on the line of Socialist. Hmmmm....just one more question answered the other way...
Post a Comment