Friday, July 20, 2007

My Family and Other Animals



Well, after Beth's blog and Devin's blog started in with this, I could hardly refuse. I think I captured my look of combined thought and concern at the state of modern literature, my own writing and/or lack thereof, and general confusion in the face of the world. I nearly went with the "crazy eyes" and a tongue sticking out, especially after returning from our recent vacation in Mammoth Lakes, but I'm not quite at that level of insanity at this moment.

Just because she won't do it, I made one for Joanna, too. Curse you for leading me to this time-eating site, Beth Fox!



Note the slightly crazed expression—toy in one hand, food in another, taking care of a pack of absolutely insane children. Through it all, though, she still retains her angelic wings (awww...).

Speaking of insane children:



This is how Denver would like to picture himself, I'm sure. No, he doesn't have a Gameboy (and never will, by my hand), but he'd dearly love one, I'm sure. (And we'd never be able to tear him away from it, either.) If there had been an Optimus Prime mask available, I'd definitely have put him in that. He's also quite the artist, but you can't hold a crayon and a sucker...



Poncho, complete with soccer ball (he's the sportier of the two these days) and handy ice cream cone. He's singing a praise song of his own creation in a very loud voice here.



And, of course, Born Dancin'. She's talking more and more, and especially enjoys repeating the last word on each page of whatever book she's making you read to her 137 times. She also sings the Veggie Tales theme song delightfully. The teddy bear and wand and ball are real—the axe is metaphorical for the destruction she wreaks wherever she goes. (Indeed, I have often considered changing her name on the blog from Born Dancin' to her moniker around the house, Destructo-Baby.)

Anyway, there's no time left for much else today. Our vacation was a terrific and exhausting (Swimming every day! Forced death marches! Summer blockbusters! Natural wonders! 137 readings of Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?! Lack of sleep! Bears! Fishing! Grandpa's jokes!), the Sierras remain my idea of what Heaven must look like, and a child with a sensitive stomach + way too much sugar + 5 hour car ride = an extremely unpleasant cleaning session in the middle of the Mojave. Next week the writing cranks back up again in earnest, and so will my trips down to the college to get things in order for the Fall semester (eurgh...).

Now it's back to the house to continue The Unpacking from the Vacation. More later, perhaps.

8 comments:

Devin Parker said...

Boy, does that bring back memories. Summer vacations just aren't complete until one of the kids barfs in the backseat. Just ask Christina.

Holly said...

Or someone spilling their milk in the back of the Slusser's camper in the middle of July...stinky!

Devin Parker said...

I have no idea what incident you could possibly be referring to. None whatsoever.

Kathie said...

Oh, the memories--Holly and I sleeping with Bounce dryer sheets in our pillowcases to stave off the milk smell...eeeewwww!

Michael Slusser said...

All this talk of smelly things on family vacations—and no one has yet complimented me on the delightful pictures of my family I wasted so much time on?

The world is a cruel place.

Michael Slusser said...

For the record, I remember no spilt milk from that trip. (I must be blocking it out.) I do remember discovering during a very late Scrabble game that Pinocchio's wife was named Penoquia (thanks to Devin's bad run of letters—though I can't for the life of me remember what we decided his son's name was), and that a "pequeakly" was a good euphemism for a boy's naughty bits. I also remember long discussions of Klingons on Uranus, and playing "Sir and Concord" endlessly in the waves (not that Kathie and Holly needed more reason to think we were complete dorkos), and many another embarrassing thing.

But no stinky milk.

Kathie said...

That's 'cause you and Dev were sleeping outside in sleeping bags on chaise longues, waking up "bedaubed" with dew. Holly and I were sleeping in the motorhome, heads on the dining/bed cushions where the spilled milk was taking on a life of its own :)

And yeah, yeah, cute pics--makes me homesick!

Christina said...

Yeah, when someone throws up in the backs...hey!!! Come on now, it's not my fault that I get incredibly carsick. The sad truth is that I still do. It's a good thing I like to drive, because that's about the only time I don't get carsick. Don't worry though Devin, with my three kids I've cleaned up my fair share of vomit in the car, in the house, on myself, just about everywhere.

I do love your pictures of your kiddos, and thank you for the inspiration to do mine, although your children look far nicer than mine. I think I was near the end of my parental rope when I made mine!! I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only parent who is tempted to sell off their children at times. I really do love them, but there are days that that love is tested a little more than I ever expected. Then I get scared because they're still so young and I'm already being so tested!!! Pray on, fellow awesome parent, pray on...