Saturday, March 03, 2007

Weird

A great deal has been going on, and yet I've neither the time nor the brainpower to talk about any particular aspect in detail. Some highlights from the past month or so:

—Still coming down off the birthday thing. Actually, I'm talking with the good folks over at Freeform Games about turning the extra characters I worked up into an "expansion pack" for the party, so that's fun. Now if only I can get the time to get on that...

—Went on a day hike with young Dan last weekend, which was a bunch of fun. A beautiful puppy showed up early on and went along with us for the whole trip (about six miles). She was a great dog, and I was sorry to have to return her to the spot she joined us. Our hike was along the shores of Lake Silverwood, along the Pacific Crest Trail, and the weather was beautiful. This brings my total miles hiked on the PCT up to about 32--which is about 1.2% of the total trail. Impressive stuff.

I also got to test out my nifty new camping stove (the MSR Dragonfly, which I picked up for my birthday) for more than just boiling water. It makes fine Spam, mushroom, and pepper scrambled eggs—hooray for precise flame control.

—Got to see my sister a few times, as she was back to finalize the sale of her old house. I spent a couple of days cleaning out the odds and ends she and her roommate left behind before escrow closed—a tiring and surreal experience. Another link to the southland severed.

—Picked up and have been reading voraciously Eldredge's latest, The Way of the Wild Heart, which has grabbed my heart and my head nearly as much as Wild at Heart did, and I think this one may have at least as much to unpack. Blame Skaggs for bringing it up—I certainly do. A good thing, but it's put me in a strange philosophical place. A lot of prayer and soul-searching and questioning going on. Perhaps that's part of why this post is so strange.

—Sent off an audio demo to the good people at Blackstone Audio, but I haven't heard back anything yet. That's another matter for prayer—it would be a lot of fun, but I don't know which way to lean on that one.

—Big things may be moving in my life, and the life of my delightful, patient, understanding, brave family. We'll see.

So there you are. Not much coherent. But then again, neither am I much these days.

Weird, I tell you.

3 comments:

Devin Parker said...

Infuze Magazine's most recent interview is with John Eldredge. I just skimmed the interview, but it looks like he's talking a bit about the book and the issues he's been dealing with lately, so perhaps you'll find it a sympathetic read:

http://www.infuzemag.com/interviews/archives/2007/02/john_eldridge.html

Chris Skaggs said...

I think I told you in as many words "If this book doesn't kick your @$$, you aint paying attention." :)

But I'm glad to hear that you're reading it. Things are afoot here as well Michael, some things that I'm interested to chat with you about.

Two words for today: Go Big

Christina said...

MSR kicks butt :) Glad to hear you went for a quality product, and hope you're enjoying it.

Wow, there's a throwback to a past life (when I lived in San Diego, I worked at Adventure 16; a competitor of REI)...

It was great seeing you guys at church on Sunday!