Monday, January 30, 2006

The Wandering Trails of Life

Sometimes God up and answers a prayer in a way you didn't even imagine.

I found out last week that, most likely, Community Christian College won't have a spot for me in the Spring quarter. It's a tiny school and I've been blessed to get the gigs there I have, so I don't begrudge the loss. It's possible they may ask me back in future quarters as they can--they seem to like me for some reason.

But that is the source of my funds to take Voicetrax classes, so for the past several days I've been pondering what will happen with that. I'm signed up for five classes, which I can cover with the pay from this quarter, but after that I was stumped. Some thought and prayer later, I felt pretty okay with it. After all, I felt that God had lead me to Voicetrax and provided me with the funds to pay for the courses in the first place--if He still wanted me to go, there would be another way.

Well, today I found out that there is another way.

Voicetrax Desert Cities is closing down.

Thankfully, it's not like the law finally caught up with them or bankruptcy or anything. Samantha's first business in the Bay Area is much larger than the one down here, and apparently she's really missed being up there for the past five years. They're also expanding their services quite a bit, which means she has to travel up there constantly. So as of March, Voicetrax in Rancho Mirage is no more.

Huh.

I've been kind of in a state of shock all evening. I'm all confusled. It seemed like I have some promise in this line of work, so in some ways it seems worthwhile to pursue other classes in LA. Both Bob Bergen and Pat Fraley teach in LA, as well as some of the other instructors I've had. But the guidance and general support Samantha and the whole Voicetrax operation gave were really terrific, and I'll miss that. I really feel like I'd be flailing about without experienced advisors, though I'm sure Samantha would be more than willing to give me some parting advice on that front. More than that, and cliche as it may be, Voicetrax really was like a second home. I've made several friends down there, and seeing them every month or so, getting to be strange and dramatic and doing pretty well at it was a blessing. It was a release and an ego boost and an adventure all at once.

On the other hand, this transition certainly frees us up to go elsewhere if I choose to walk away. Not that we have any prospects anywhere else at this point, but I had mentioned that my family and Voicetrax were the only real anchors to Southern California at this point. With Kathie moving and the school closed, those tethers are pretty attenuated.

Yet I do still feel that God lead me to the voice work, and I'm not sure where to go on from here.

So who knows. Your prayers are always appreciated, and any words of wisdom will be listened to with care.

Life. Weird.

No comments: